Monday, February 11, 2013

Burlap Wreath

Time for me to make a new wreath. I mean, I have to keep up with my wreath a month habit. I admit, I am addicted to making wreaths. They are just so easy to make and can brighten the front door. My door needs to be brightened up right now. I hate when all of the holiday decorations come down. I fee like my porch and front door look naked. So, time to snazz it up.

You will need:

2 yards burlap
1 yard different color burlap
1 wire wreath form
hot glue gun
buttons
ribbons

I started with cutting my main color of burlap in 6 inch by 1 inch strips. Cut a lot of them, it will take them all. Once they were cut, I tied them on to the wire wreath. I went back and forth tying them, making sure to compact them together. You want to be sure that there are no bare spots or holes. Just keep tying until the whole wreath is full. I then went through and cut all of the loose strings off of the burlap. I forgot to mention this is really messy. The burlap makes a crazy mess with all of the strings.




Now to the flowers. I used the different color of burlap. I cut it into 2 inch strips approximately 36 inches long. Plug in your glue gun and get gluing. Fold the burlap in half lengthwise, then begin rolling about 10 times, gluing each roll. After you have your initial roll, begin folding the burlap around the roll. This will make the flower get larger and take on a more flower look versus just a roll. Continue folding and twisting the burlap around the roll, gluing often to secure, until you get to the end. I tried to take pics of the steps but it is hard to show. I also make a flower out of the coordinating ribbon to brighten things up.



Once the flowers were complete, I glued some decorative buttons on a few of them. Now, time to attach the flowers. Figure out where you want your flowers. In that area, I knotted the burlap one more time to make it more of a base. Glue the heck out of the flower and the base and hold it on until it is dry. Continue gluing the others on, making sure to glue the sides so the flowers attach to each other.

Last step is to cut your ribbon. Thread it through the back of the wire wreath and tie a bow at the top. That will be your hanger. Enjoy your wreath. Of course you can do different color combos and accents on it for different seasons.


No comments:

Post a Comment